SOME HISTORY ABOUT THE QUINCY
CONSISTORY FROM 1870-1916
By; C. S. Mulliner 33o, Secretary
In the nature of a history which may prove interesting at this time, and perhaps to future generations, your Secretary
has gathered from our earliest records these facts relating to our Scottish Rite Bodies.
Consistory No 2 and its co-ordinate bodies were constituted at Waukegan, Illinois, in pursuance of charter from Supreme Council,
fifty years ago; viz., on December 5th, 1866; the date of the charter being March 16, 1866.
Three years later, on December 3rd, 1869, the several bodies at Waukegan petitioned the then Deputy of Supreme
Council for Illinois, Illustrious Walter A. Stevens 33o, for permission to change their place of meeting from Waukegan
Receipt of a dispensation from Deputy authorizing such change was noted on the records
of the several bodies at Waukegan, December 28th, 1869. Copies of this dispensation in full were recorded at the
first meetings of the several Waukegan bodies, which were held in Quincy .
These last were all special
meetings authorized and presided over by the deputy; and by this token, at this time, the change in location of these bodies
from Waukegan to Quincy was accomplished.
At these same meetings new officers were elected by the
several bodies from among the Quincy Brethren and Princes
who had previously received the 32nd degree at
Waukegan; and this was the beginning of the Quincy Regime.
Change of Names of Bodies
We note that at the third annual meeting of the Council of Deliberation, held in Chicago, June 22nd, 1871, on motion
of Illustrious William M. Avise, Commander-in-Chief of the Consistory at Quincy, this Council of Deliberation recommended
to the Supreme Council that the names of the several bodies be changed from Waukegan to Quincy.
that at the fourth annual meeting of the Council of Deliberation, held in Chicago, June 28th, 1872, in the Address
of Vincent L. Hurlbut, 33o, Illustrious Deputy for Illinois, he says:
"It gives me
pleasure to report that the resolutions adopted by the last Council of Deliberation to change certain names, were confirmed
by the Supreme Council , to-wit; The names of Waukegan Consistory, Chapter Rose Croix, Council of Princes of Jerusalem
and Lodge of Perfection to Quincy."
From and after March 1st, 1872, the several bodies
were by the heading of their various records, denominated "Quincy" Lodge of Perfection, "Quincy" Council
of Princes of Jerusalem and so on, instead of "Waukegan, " as formerly.
These bodies, upon their removal to Quincy in 1870, occupied ample and commodious quarters with the other Masonic fraternities
on the fourth, or upper floor of the brick block now called the Newcomb building, northwest corner of Fourth and Maine Streets,
which were creditable fitted up with the exception of stage and scenery. Here considerable work was done in the various
bodies of the Rite during a period of nearly nine years.
From the records of the first Consistory
meeting held in Quincy, Illinois, we find that the very first initiates received in Waukegan Consistory, Quincy on January
5th, 1870, were Samuel E. Seger, Thaddeus S. Owens, James H. Richardson, Jacob R. Harris, David G. Williams, John
W. Brown, Benjamin F. Hoar, Maitland Boon, Louis Miller, Wm. B. Larkworthy, Albert Demaree, Granville M.
Evatt, H. N. E. Cottiers, John Viberts, Wendelin Weber and Leonard Grieserall pioneers of this Community. Not a single
one of this number is now living, all having passed away many years ago. It would be surprising if more than a half
dozen brethren in this audience remember them. Most of them lived out their allotted time of "three score years
It is recalled that the ceremonials were, in those days usually read and explained
(it would be impossible to say they, were illustrated) from the Ritual, which was kept very convenient to the interpreter.
Illustrious Brethren James Lowe, Circuit Clerk; Jacob M. Smith, Mayor; Archibald A. Glenn, Lieut. Governor, with Wm. M. Avise,
John Washington Brown, Granville Evatt, James H. Richardson, Samuel E Seger, Asa W. Blakesley and E. S. Mulliner, all of who
may be remembered by the older Masons here, were at the head of affairs and active in conferring degrees. None of these
are now living except your historian.
Illustrious Samuel E. Seger was the first from the Consistory
to be elected by the Supreme Council to receive the Honorary 33rd degree, to which he was elected in Boston, Mass,
November 14th, 1871. He received the degree at a special session of the Supreme Council held in the City
of Chicago, Illinois on Friday, the 28th day of June 1872. He was one of the most prominent of our wholesale
merchants and died on March 21st, 1882.
An Early Misfortune
These Masonic quarters were destroyed by a disastrous fire on September 6th, 1879, originating in the so-called
Academy of Music, an immense frame structure a few doors west, used as a theatre, which caught fire early in the evening.
There was apparently no immediate danger of the fire reaching Masonic Hall and therefore efforts were delayed in removing
books and lodge property. Getting beyond control, however, it swept though the upper story. Little time was left
to remove records and valuable papers. The records of the lodges and York Rite were nearly all destroyed, as also were
furniture and carpets, the loss on which was nearly covered by insurance. The records of the Scottish Rite bodies were saved.
Their charters were burned.
History of Their Wanderings
no other suitable apartments at this time, these bodies practically discontinued work for some three years, holding business
meetings only at the private residences of the members and the Commander-in-Chief.
From 1882 to 1885
they occupied by sufferance the Masonic Hall; rooms which since the fire had been handsomely, fitted up by the York Rite at
526-528 Maine Street in the third story. These rooms, though large, were far from being adapted to Scottish Rite work.
Besides, the Consistory was not desired as a tenant, although treated with a degree of consideration. During this period,
while occupying the rooms of the York Rite, following record, of date June 14th, 1883, appears on page 512, record
book A of Consistory:
"Commander-in-Chief presented a letter from Illustrious Henry H. Pond,
33o, Special Deputy of the Supreme Council for Illinois, bearing date of November 17, 1882, and stating that if
the charters of the several bodies in Quincy A. A. S. Rite had been destroyed by fire by furnishing him with an official statement
of such fact, authenticated by the proper Chiefs of the co-ordinate bodies, he as Grand Commander would issue the requisite
authority to work until the next meeting of the Supreme Council. He also expressed the hope that the Quincy Bodies would
soon resume work. In accordance with the tenor of this communication from the Special Illustrious Deputy for Illinois,
a petition was drafted asking for the authority to resume work in the different bodies of the A. A. S. Rite in the Valley
of Quincy and signed by the Chiefs of each body, attested by the secretary pro-tem and forwarded to Illustrious Henry H. Pond
33o, at Chicago."
On the succeeding Page (513) of the same record book occurs the
following minute of August 13, 1883:
"The Commander-in-Chief presented dispensations from the
Supreme Council for Northern Masonic Jurisdiction, U. S. A., at Boston, Mass., under date of the second day of Hebrew month
5643, corresponding to 7th day of July, 1883 (v. e.) authorizing Quincy Consistory, Quincy Chapter of Rose Croix,
Quincy Council of Princes of Jerusalem and Quincy Lodge of Perfection to resume and continue their work in the Valley of Quincy,
state of Illinois; which dispensations were read and formally accepted."
It is to be regretted
that these dispensations have been mislaid or lost in removing from one location to another.
Our Bodies Were Saved
In the Proceedings of the Council of Deliberation, held in Chicago
in June, 1883, we regret to discover the following from the report of Henry H. Pond, 33o, Special Deputy and Commander-in-Chief:
"Valley of Quincy"
"The bodies in Quincy, I am sorry to report to this Council, have, for the past three years, done nothing towards promoting
the prosperity and glory of the Order in this state. Ever since their organization, I am forced to believe, there has
existed a feeling of apathy and lukewarmness among many members of the several bodies, that has finally resulted in the present
deplorable state of affairs in this valley.
Your Deputy has been informed by the present Commander-in-Chief
of Quincy Consistory that the charters of all the four bodies were destroyed by fire a few years ago, and no desire since
the loss thereof has been expressed to this Council of Deliberation, or through the Deputy to the Supreme Council for the
issuance of duplicate charters or a dispensation authorizing them to resume active work, until the present week, just prior
to the assembling of this Council. I would recommend that some action be taken by this Council relative to the dormant
state of affairs that has so long existed in this valley. "
The Committee on Business, to whom
it was referred, reported as regards Quincy "That the matter be referred to the Council without action by this committee."
When the report of this committee was taken up by the Council, the following action was recorded:
"The several bodies of the Rite at Quincy having applied to the Deputy for special dispensations permitting them to work,
their charters having been destroyed by fire, and this matter having been referred to the Council, Illustrious James A. Hawley,
33o, moved that Illustrious Deputy be requested to grant the prayer of the petitioners."
The proceedings then go on to say: "After debate and explanation by Illustrious Brother E. S. Mulliner, 32o,
of the condition of affairs in Quincy, the motion was adopted."
It appears from our records
and accounts that the Quincy Bodies have throughout their checkered career paid their dues to the Supreme Council and to the
Council of Deliberation.
Rite Bodies, realizing that they were unwelcome tenants in the apartments of the York Rite, by May 1st, 1885, finally
secured their own quarters in the second and third stories of the Seaman building, with a handsome and imposing stone front,
on the east side of Washington Park, but found the interior entirely inadequate for Scottish Rite work.
The rooms were only about twenty-five feet wide, reached by long, narrow stairways. A small stage, however, was erected
and furnished with a reasonably good outfit of scenery bought in Chicago, and the bodies were thus enabled to present a somewhat
better exemplification of the Ritual. During the long space of fifteen years they occupied these exceedingly cramped
Illustrious Bro. John Corson Smith, 33o, who succeeded Illustrious Bro.
Henry H. Pond, 33o, in 1884, as Deputy for Illinois, and who visited frequently, commended the effort that was
being made, but was evidently distressed at the meager facilities for conferring degrees. He expressed wonder that Quincy
succeeded so well in such narrow and inconvenient apartments.
January 1st, 1900, the bodies leased for a term of years at an annual rental of $200.00 the room at 526 ½
Maine Street, immediately below Masonic Hall, fitting it up exclusively for Scottish Rite Work and installing the scenery
moved from the former quarters. These apartments were occupied until November 1st, 1911. The rooms
were entirely too small, but were an improvement upon the last quarters. Here Illustrious Bro. Amos Pettibone, 33o,
succeeding Illustrious Bro John Corson Smith, 33o, as Deputy for Illinois, found the Quincy Bodies on his first
official visit to this city July 16th & 17th, 1902. His impressions of these bodies on his first
visit were necessarily unfavorable. When he saw how they were handicapped for want of room and requisite paraphernalia,
he had little hope for their success. But upon subsequent visits when he realized the zeal manifested to improve the
work even in these quarters, and as the classes grew larger and equipment continually better, in the goodness of his heart
he gave more encouragement as he saw reason to hope for better things.
Report of Progress
We find on record of May 27th, 1908, page 472, record book C, this important report of president and secretary
as to progress, together with call for further subscriptions, under date of May 5th, 1908.
"To Quincy Consistory, S. P. R. S., George D. Levi, representing Bodley Lodge No. 1; Charles Oehlmann, representing Herman
Lodge No. 39; John T. Inghram, representing Quincy Lodge No. 296; Henry P. Walton, representing Beauseant Commandery No. 11;
Emmett Howard, representing Quincy Consistory; Samuel W. Eldred representing Quincy Chapter No. 5, and acting as directors
in the above named bodies in the Quincy Masonic Temple Association, have been meeting in regular sessions for some time past
and when the matter of site came up, desiring to have the unanimity which has always characterized the six bodies in the movement,,
submitted to the trustees of these bodies the sites they had in view and one, at Fifth and Jersey, has been selected by them,
and contract made for its purchase.
"Aside from paying for the lot, the matter of enlarging
the capital stock and building the Temple will be pushed as rapidly as possible, consistent with a due regard for taking care
of all matters in a conservative manner.
"In order that the proper forward movement be made,
we ask that each of the six bodies above enumerated, place fifteen hundred dollars ($1500.00) in the hands of our treasurer,
Charles Oehlmann, on or before June 15th, and provision made for placing the balance, a like amount, in like manner,
on or before September 15th.
Masonic Temple Association
By EMMETT HOWARD, President
GEORGE D. LEVI, Secretary
At this meeting of May 27th,
1908, Quincy Consistory voted unanimously that as requested, vouchers be issued payable to the treasurer of the association
for $1500.00 each. June 15th and September 15th, 1908.
At the subsequent meeting
of June 24th, 1908, it was moved and carried that the $3000.00 voted at the last stated rendezvous of May 27th,
to be placed in the hands of the treasurer of the Masonic Temple Association, is intended as a stock subscription to the capital
stock of said association, and that the Commander-in-Chief obtain all proper certificates for stock subscribed and deliver
to Consistory as soon as they can be issued.
On July 22, 1908, it is recorded on page 477of Consistory
Record Book C, that Second Lieutenant Commander J. L. Klemme reported as trustee that at the stockholders meeting of July
8th, 1908, all the stockholders of the association voted to increase the capital stock of the Masonic Temple Association
from $2500.00 to $32000.00.
Whereupon it was unanimously voted that in addition to the $3000.00 subscription
provided for at the last stated rendezvous, Quincy Consistory subscribe $1000.00 in addition to the $3000.00, making their
subscription $4000.00 all told. This is in addition to the $500.00 originally subscribed toward the original capital
On record of stated rendezvous of November 23rd, 1910, page 539, of record
book C, we discover the following communication:
Quincy, Illinois, November 21st, 1910
the Officers and Members of Quincy
Consistory, S. P. R.
"Beauseant Commandery No. 11, K. T., being one of the promoters of the new Masonic
Temple and one of the interested bodies in the Masonic Temple Association, has, in order to carry out one of the fundamental
principles of the association, subscribed for additional stock in such association so as to maintain a parity of interest
among the stockholding bodies.
"Beauseant Commandery, however, finds itself unable at present
and without funds to take up this additional stock and it is necessary that funds be immediately secured for such purpose
and the stock paid for in order that work on the new Masonic Temple may be prosecuted to a conclusion.
For this purpose Beauseant Commandery requires two thousand dollars ($2000.00) and desires to borrow such amount for five
years at 5 per cent annual interest and will give as security for such loan the note of the Commandery, secured by stock in
The Quincy Masonic Temple Association of the par value of two thousand dollars ($2000.00). The interest to be payable semi-annually.
"Therefore Beauseant Commandery requests a loan of two thousand dollars ($2000.00) of the Quincy Consistory at such time
and at such rate and secured as aforesaid, and requests that this matter be considered and the trustees of Quincy Consistory
authorized to make such loan at their earliest convenience.
HENRY L. MICHELMANN. E. C.
J. A. BUNTING, Generalissimo
W. A. MARTIN, Captain General
The Consistory at once took action complying with above request, thus enabling
the Commandery to pay its subscription.
Laying Corner Stone
The building at the southwest corner of Fifth and Jersey had so far progressed that an Occasional Grand lodge, A.
F. & A. M., State of Illinois, convened at Quincy, Ill., July 20th, 1910, for the purpose of laying the corner
stone of the Masonic Temple. The M. W. Grand Master, Albert B. Ashley, being absent, R. W. Deputy Grand Master Delmar
D. Darrah, officiated as M. W. Grand Master, Emmett Howard as R. W. Deputy Grand Master, H. T. Burnap R. W. Senior Grand Warden,
E. C. Holmes as R. W. Junior Grand Warden, W. W. Watson as R. W. Grand Treasurer, Isaac Cutter R. W. Grand Secretary, Wm.
A. Gustin As R. W. Grand Chaplain, John E. Wall as R. W. Grand Orator, Wm Bach as W. Grand Pursuivant, A. W. West w. Grand
Marshal, E. M. Crain as W. Grand Standard Bearer, J. O. Wade and W. Grand Sword Bearer, F. M. Pendleton as W. Grand Senior
Deacon, W. C. Hamilton as W. Grand Junior Deacon, G. W. Hamilton, Geo W. Cyrus, C. H. Nutt and E. L. Charpentier as Grand
W. Stewards, G. W. Leverenze as Bro. Grand Tyler, S. I. Bragg as Master of oldest Lodge, John Batchy as Principal Architect.
A Procession was formed at Masonic Hall, 526-528 Maine Street, at 2 P. M.., composed of the Grand Officers, members of all
local lodges and those throughout the County of Adams and surrounding counties, as well as a large number from neighboring
states. The day was beautiful and warm.
Proceeding directly to the site of the new Temple
the impressive ceremony of laying the corner stone in the northeast corner was observed according to the ritual at 3 P. M.,
followed by the oration of Bro. John E. Wall, which was universally enjoyed as a gem of oratory. On the face of the
stone appear these few simple words commemorative of the event so important to the Masons of this city:
JULY 20, A. D. 1910
A. L. 5910
- B. ASHLEY, Grand Master
The Masonic Temple was dedicated on October 27th, 1911, to the purposes
of the craft, with all the dignity and grace pertaining to the ceremony, by the Grand Officers of the Grand Lodge of A. F.
& A. M. State of Illinois, an Occasional Grand Lodge being convened with the following officiating:
Delmar D. Durrah, M. W. Grand Master; H. T. Burnap, R. W. Deputy Grand Master; R. H. Wheeler, R. W. Senior Grand Warden; A.
H. Scroggin, R. W. Junior Grand Warden; W. W. Watson as R. W. Grand Treasurer; Isaac Cutter, R. W. Grand Secretary; J. M.
Hannum as R. W. Grand Chaplin; H. B. Marsh as R. W. Grand Orator; J. O. Wade as W. Grand Pursuivant; C. T. Holmes as W. Grand
Marshal; C. H. Nutt as W. Grand Standard Bearer; W. C. Hamilton as W. Grand Sword Bearer; S. S. Borden, W. Grand Senior Deacon;
C. L. Gregory as W. Grand Junior Deacon; J. B. Thomas and R. E. Downing as W. Grand Stewards; John Batschy, Principal Architect;
S. A. Lee, Master of Oldest Lodge; C. S. Gurney, Brother Grand Tyler; A. E. Kidd, A. F. Wiedemann, Otho Arnold, J. I. Martin,
Bearers of Symbols.
This beautiful ceremony, like that of laying the corner stone of the building,
brought to the brethren of Quincy the comforting realization of having at last a real Masonic Home of its own.
SCOTTISH RITE APARTMENTS
Fourth Floor, Masonic Temple
Pursuant to instructions as voted by Quincy Lodge of Perfection as stated
communications of October 4th and November 1st, 1911, the secretary made application through Illustrious
James B. McFatrich, 33o, Deputy of Supreme Council for Illinois, to the M. P. Sov. Grand Commander of Supreme Council,
Illustrious Barton Smith, 33o, to consecrate and dedicate these apartments. The M. P. Sov. Grand Commander
not being able to leave his home in Toledo, Ohio at this time was pleased to commission Illustrious Amos Pettibone, 33o,
Grand Minister of State of Supreme Council to perform this service.
The Illustrious Grand Minister
of State designated Thursday, November 23rd, 1911, at 10 A. M., as the time most convenient, and it was so ordered.
Quincy Lodge of Perfection was duly opened at the appointed hour by the Thrice Potent Master for the purpose of receiving
the representative of the M. P. Sov. Grand Commander and his staff, who were duly announced and admitted under escort
and assumed their several stations in the Preceptory as follows:
Ill. Amos Pettibone, 33o, M. P. Sov.
Ill. Alfred Augustus Whipple, 33o, P. Gr. Lieut. Commander
Ill. Robert August Kiefer,
33o, Grand Minister of State
Ill. Samuel Wilson Eldred, 32o, Grand Treasurer General
Edward Starr Mulliner, 33o, Grand Secretary General
Ill. Isaac Cutter, 32o, Grand Keeper of Archives
Thomas E. Balding, 33o, Gr. Master of Ceremonies
Ill. Emmett Howard, 33o, Grand Marshal General
Rev. Wm. Alfred Gustin, 32o, Grand Prior
Ill. Charles Theodore Holmes, 32o; Ill. John Batschy,
Ill. William Hubert McMein, 32o; Ill. H. Henry Holtman, 32o;
Marshals of the Camp
A large number of the Sublime Brethren were present to witness the beautiful
ceremonies of consecration and dedication of the apartments, which occupied about one hour, and were carried out in detail
with grace and precision by the Sov. Grand Commander, ably assisted by the Illustrious Grand Master General of Ceremonies.
The service being concluded, the brethren were favored with a long and instructive address by Illustrious Brother Pettibone
who as Illustrious Deputy of Supreme Council for many years, has been very near to us all.
Report on Temple
the annual business rendezvous of December 27th, 1911, page 577, record book C, was submitted a very interesting
verbal statement by Illustrious Emmett Howard, 33o, President of the Quincy Masonic Temple Association, relating
to the financial affairs of the Temple, the substance of which is as follows:
COST OF PROPERTY
Lot at Fifth and Jersey Street.............................................$ 7,000.00
Building, light and fixtures............................................... 74,000.00
walks, furniture in basement, etc.............................. 3,000.00
Mortgage at 5%..............................................................................$30,000.00
Temporary Loans......................................................... 5,500.00
of indebtedness, about..................................... 13,000.00
Rentals from four lodges, second
Rentals from Chapter, Commandery and Eastern Star, 3rd
Rentals from Consistory, fourth floor.....................................1,000.00
Rentals from billiards and pool rooms (estimated)...................... 500.00
from banquet rooms............................................... 1,000.00
ESTIMATED ANNUAL COST OF MAINTENANCE
Taxes on realty
Insurance on building
Interest on loan
Repairs for five years
Gas and electric light
ESTIMATED ANNUAL INCOMES OF RENTING BODIES
Of the four lodges from dues, $4000.00: fees $3000.00 $7,000.00
Of the Commandery
Of the Consistory
Further Increase of Capital Stock
On the stated rendezvous of January 24th, 1912, pages 579-580, record book C, Illustrious Brother Emmett Howard,
33o,, President of the Temple Association and Director from this body, reported that at a meeting of the trustees
of the seven Masonic bodies held this day, they voted to increase the capital stock of the association from $32,000.00 to
$42,000.00, the object being to take up the floating indebtedness by stock subscription and make the capital stock equal to
one-half the value of the Masonic Temple property.
On motion this action of the trustees were approved
and endorsed. The Consistory thereupon voted unanimously to subscribe $1500.00 additional stock in the association,
so that it shares of stock would now amount to $6000.00, preserving its parity with all the other bodies, each one now holding
240 shares at $25.00 a share.
Honor to Whom Honor is Due
Whatever of personal honor may attach to individual Masons in the struggle for this Temple, the brightest laurel should rest
upon the brow of those zealous few who, on the memorable 6th of September, 1906, took the initiative, as well.
as upon the original Board of Directors, who with merge funds and prospects at the beginning, engineered through a financial
problem which appeared almost hopeless.
Whatever of merit and honor belong to the seven Masonic bodies,
who have so nobly endeavored to assist with their funds in this great Temple project, history will show that Quincy Consistory
has ever been in the van to sustain the great work by example and assistance to others.
Tribute to the Dead
Let us pause for a moment with uncovered
and pay homage to the memory of
that Nestor of Masonry,
Illustrious Bro. Joseph
Whom we all loved and revered, and who
Passed from earth many months too
Join in general exultation felt in the posses-
Sion of this magnificent
Temple. How his large
Heart would have throbbed with joy at the sight
perpetual home for a craft to which he
Devoted his life.
of Work as the Years Roll Around
It may be of interest to place before you this statement
gathered from the records showing the comparative increase in number upon whom Consistory degrees were conferred during the
several terms of office of the different Commanders-in-Chief, mostly in the former quarters at 526 ½ Maine Street,
commencing with year 1900, and which may be included in the "Dark Ages." This statement, however, may be more
interesting to the Past Commanders than to others.
During the term of Rev. W. H. Moore, 1900,1901,1902,
candidates numbered 20; the term of Robert A. Kiefer, 1903,1904,1905 candidates numbered 52; during the term of Emmett Howard,
1906,1907,1908, candidates numbered 86: during the term of Julius L. Klemme, 1909, 1910, 1911, candidates numbered 116.
Of this number we find 73 received the degrees in the old quarters and 43 received the degrees in Masonic Temple. The
Consistory degrees were, also, during Illustrious Bro. Klemme's administration in the old quarters, on April 28th,
1911, conferred upon 30 Knights of Rose Croix, petitioners from Springfield and East St. Louis , who expected to apply for
charters for Consistories in those cities. If this number were added Bro. Klemme's term would show 146.
During the term of Illustrious Bro. John T. Inghram for the three years of his regular term, 1912-1913, 1914, the candidates
numbered 138, and for the year 1915 added to his term by request of the Illustrious Deputy in order to make new terms commence
with May, 1916, throughout the state, the candidates numbered 34, making a total during the four years of 172. During
the entire term of office of Illustrious Bro. Inghram as Commander-in-Chief, this Masonic Temple was occupied.
The term of the present Commander-in-Chief, Illustrious Bro. Sylvanus I. Bragg, opens up with bright prospects; six
postulants in June and 47 in November having been created Sublime Princes of the Royal Secret.
The Quincy Masonic Temple Association, in whose hands have been placed the financial management of all matters pertaining
to the building, have succeeded in gradually reducing the debt.
As to the Consistory, since its occupancy
of these quarters, November 21, 1911, to November 24th, 1916,, its membership have increased from 326 to 553, a
gain of 227 members.
During this period it has purchased and paid for about $4000.00 worth of new
scenery, $1500.00 worth of new costumes $2500.00 for an electric passenger elevator, and on January 24th, 1912,
purchased $1500 additional stock in the Masonic Temple Association for which it has paid; in all about $9,500.
Five thousand dollars fire insurance is maintained on scenery, apparel, furniture, etc.
more recent and notable improvement in raising the walls of the preceptory, building galleries, seating with opera chairs
and decorating walls at an approximate expense of $6,000.00 for our own comfort and convenience, without charge to the
Temple Association, has been partly paid for and it is confidently believed will be fully paid within two years.
It can hardly be realized that Quincy Scottish Rite Bodies have, within five years, emerged from their gloomy abode and unpromising
condition into such magnificent apartments; with reasonable assurance of a still more successful and glorious future, under
the present administration and with the continued approval of a Devine Providence.
of the fiftieth anniversary of the organization of these bodies on November 22nd, 23rd and 24th,
1916, has left with them a most delightful recollection and established the beginning of a new era in their history.
The growth of these bodies, although slow in comparison with our neighboring and younger Consistories who are favored
with a much greater and richer area of exclusive territory, is a marvel under existing conditions. One-half of the territory
embraced within the one hundred mile circle, supposed to be allotted to the several Consistories in Illinois as exclusive
jurisdiction, is cut off, in our case by the Mississippi river separating our state from Missouri, which is in the Southern
Circumscribed, hemmed in and watched with a jealous eye lest we encroach upon the exclusive
domain of our neighbors, we wonder at the existing measure of our own prosperity.
Let us be truly
thankful for that to which we have attained.